4 to 6 servings
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 4 sweet potatoes (about 8 cups), peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 Asian pear, diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 16 oz or 500 ml (2 cups) Unibroue Ce N’est Pas La Fin du Monde beer
- 16 - 25 oz or 500 - 750 ml (2 to 3 cups) chicken broth, hot
- Bread croutons
- 8 maple bacon slices, cooked crispy, coarsely chopped
- Fresh chives, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the onion and the garlic and drizzle with a generous drizzle of olive oil. Mix and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add the ginger, mix and cook for 2 minutes.
Add the potatoes, Asian pear, curry, oregano, salt and pepper and mix. Cook for 7 to 8 minutes to caramelize.
Add the beer and pour enough chicken stock to cover the vegetables.
Cover, bring to a boil and reduce over low heat. Simmer for 30 to 35 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Purée and adjust texture by adding chicken broth to taste. Garnish with croutons, maple bacon and chives.