SERVES 20 SAUSAGES
• Olive oil
• 1 1/2 cup leeks, finely sliced
• 500g ground veal shoulder cubes
• 2.5kg ground picnic shoulder pork, skin and bone removed
• 500g smoked bacon, chopped
• 1/2 cup Blonde de Chambly
• 5 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
• 1/2 tablespoon salt
• 1 teaspoon brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon dried mustard
• 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
• 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• Salt and ground pepper
• In a skillet at medium heat, add a good drizzle of olive oil. Add the leeks and cook for 3-4 minutes until soft. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and cool at room temperature for about 15 minutes.
• Take a big sip of beer. Place all the ingredients, including the leeks, in a big VERY big bowl then combine with your hands for at least 5 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and place in fridge for 24 hours to allow flavours to flourish.
• Fill your sausages with your favorite method (without grinding again to keep texture), while making sure the casings are wet to make your life easier.
• Preheat the oven at 400°F.
• Place the sausages on a baking tray and cook in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until well cooked and nicely grilled, turning them often. You can also cook them on the bbq for 10-12 minutes, turning them often as well.