Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. French shallots, chopped
- 2 lb. mussels, washed and debearded
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp. garlic, chopped
- 1 can (28 oz.) peeled tomatoes with herbs
- 2 cups Maudite beer
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1½ cup lentils
- 3/4 cup carrots, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
Melt butter in a large saucepan and sweat shallots. Add mussels, half the parsley, garlic, tomatoes, and beer. Season. Bring to a boil and let simmer while covered for 5 minutes (or until mussels are completely opened). Remove and shell mussels, keeping a few whole ones for garnish. Add lentils, carrots, celery, and mushrooms to cooking juice. Bring to a boil and let simmer while covered for about 45 minutes. Add mussels and sprinkle with remaining parsley (thicken with cornstarch if necessary).
Recipe : Fourquet Fourchette Restaurant, fourquet-fourchette.com.