Preparation time: 12 hours
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- 350ml 35% cream
- 50ml milk
- 50ml Éphémère Cherry, room temperature, flatten (stir with fork until flat)
- 5 egg yolks
- 90g powdered sugar or about 7 tablespoons (do not mistake for icing or regular sugar)
- 6 teaspoons of regular sugar (for the caramelized crust)
- Pre-heat the oven at 325°F.
- In a saucepan, warm the milk at low temperature.
- Scrape out the vanilla seeds and add both the seeds and the bean to the milk. Infuse for a few minutes.
- In a large bowl, strongly whisk the eggs and the 90g sugar until it whitens. Add the cream and mix well to allow the sugar to melt completely.
- Remove the vanilla beans and add the milk and the Éphémère Cherry to the mixture. Mix well again.
- Pour mixture in 6 custard dishes or ramekins.
- Bake in a water bath. Put the ramekins into a baking dish filled with boiling water to 3/4 the height of the ramekins. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 30 minutes. Refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving.
- Before serving, pour 1 teaspoon of sugar on top of each crème brûlée. Use a torch to caramelize quickly. You may also want to caramelize it using your oven set to Broil.
Note: Cooking time may vary from oven to oven.
Recipe & photo: Philippe Allard and Samuel Joubert - www.recettedelamort.ca