The Ultimate Onion Soup
Prep. time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
- 6 medium onions (2 lbs 1/2) peeled and finely chopped (2 red, 2 white, 2 Vidalias)
- 1 green onion chopped finely
- 1 bottle of Fin du Monde (750 ml format)
- 1 garlic clove chopped finely
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil or butter
- ½ cup of Porto
- ½ cup of red wine
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 VERY small pinch of dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 large bay leaf (to be taken out before putting in oven)
- Salt, ground pepper to taste
- 6 French bread slices – 1 cm (1/4 in.) thick
- 2 cups of grated swiss cheese (gruyère or emmental)
- 1 cup of fresh grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- In a large saucepan, caramelize half the onions at medium/low heat (1 of each color), the green onion and the garlic in the butter or olive oil, stirring often, until mix is a dark golden color (about 20 minutes).
- Deglaze with Fin du Monde, while scraping bottom of pan. Reduce to half.
- Add broth, Porto, red wine, thyme, celery seeds, bay leaf and leftover onion.
- Preheat over to 450°F.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 25 minutes.
- Pour soup into 6 bowls, add a slice of bread over each one and cover with 75 ml (1/3 cup) of Swiss cheese and 1/6 cup of fresh Parmigiano Reggiano.
- Place the bowls on a cooking tray, brown.
Photo and recipe credit: Recettes de la mort.